The Terrapin® 8L is the smaller version our flagship Terrapin® System 14L. The Terrapin 8L maintains all of the Terrapin's best known features including a mount that stays on the bike with a custom fitted drybag for easy packing. With 8 liters of capacity, it is perfect for most lightweight bikepacking trips and fits bikes with low tire clearance. It is perfectly sized for small framed bikes, including plus bikes with inherently diminished clearance.
The Indie-Rail attachment system is a progression from conventional bikepacking bag mounts where the rail straps are fixed to the top center of the bag. With Indie-Rail, each saddle rail is cinched down hard to the sides of the bag virtually eliminating side to side bag sway without the need for external hardware. We combine this with rigid internal structure and active camming buckles to prevent straps from slipping on rough terrain.
The mount is stiffened on all sides including an external plastic bottom sheet which protects the bottom of the bag like a fender. A composite internal top sheet provides a solid and stable platform for the strap points and transmits the vertical load to the seatpost connection.
Winner of the 2018 Bikepacking.com Gear of the Year Award!
- Indie-Rail attachment system and active camming hardware maximizes stability without added hardware
- Radio frequency welded drybag with one way, low profile purge valve
- Adjustable capacity; Fold under the top storage deck and use top mounted buckles to secure smaller loads
- X-Pac panels that are two times as abrasion resistant as standard VX material
- Protective external plastic bottom frame sheet
- User friendly side release buckles to secure drybag
- Aluminum hardware at high stress points
- Composite internal top frame sheet
- Hypalon slots on drybag for rear light attachment
- Bungee loop on top of holster for additional storage
- Foam stiffened side panels with fiberglass compression stays
- Carbon seatpost friendly
- Minimum 7 in / 17.8 cm of tire clearance (shown as line A) from saddle rails to tire.
Important information on use and fit:
- This product is not designed for use with dropper seatposts.
- This bag is for carrying soft, pliable objects. Sufficiently pad any hard edge objects like cookware to prevent premature wear.
- It is mandatory to check tire clearance prior to use, especially with full suspension bikes. Bag contact with a tire can cause a bad wreck and ruin your day. Tire damage to the bag is not covered by warranty.
- Please evaluate how your system works well before a planned trip.
Terrapin®: 13 oz / 369 g
Drybag: 488 in³ / 8 L
Holster: Dimension Polyant VX 21 X-Pac with abrasion resistant finish; Rhinotec. Drybag: 200-denier waterproof TPU laminated nylon. Terrapin® made in USA with domestic and imported materials. Drybag imported.